AstraZeneca in the UK
A global pharmaceutical company with a major UK presence. Our purpose is to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. The best way we can help patients is to be science-led and share this passion with the scientific, healthcare and business communities of the UK.
Our contribution to the UK
Our UK sites
Scroll through the locations below to find out more about our sites in the UK.
The Cambridge site will become our largest centre for oncology research worldwide. Beyond cancer research, our R&D will focus on cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmune diseases and conditions of the central nervous system. The site will bring together our small molecule and biologics R&D, opening up opportunities to exploit the promise of small and large molecule combinations. Additionally, we will have medicinal chemistry, high-throughput screening and cellular and molecular biology, as well as clinical development and pre-clinical research capabilities located on the site.Find out more
Alderley Park, Cheshire
Employing approximately 2,900 people, including some of the world’s most skilled and experienced science professionals, Alderley Park is renowned for the discovery and development of innovative new medicines. As the lead centre for cancer research, Alderley Park currently houses the global Advanced Lead Discovery Centre, which includes innovative facilities to assist with the drug discovery process, in addition to oncology discovery and early development capabilities (Oncology Innovative Medicines). Alderley Park is also home to employees within our global medicines development function, who are responsible for the late stage development of our pipeline (products in phase III development).
AstraZeneca’s UK Marketing Company (UKMC) is a part of our global commercial organisation, and is responsible for the marketing of our medicines in the UK. The UKMC’s base at Horizon Place is also home to colleagues from AstraZeneca’s corporate functions and our European and international regions’ sales and marketing teams (the latter includes markets in Latin America, the Middle East & Africa, Asia, and Australasia).
Macclesfield, in the north-west of England, is our second largest manufacturing site and our European centre for packing. Some 1,800 people are employed at our Macclesfield site, where we manufacture, pack and distribute our medicines to 130 global markets. Effective manufacturing processes are vitally important to our work, so we’ve introduced new techniques at Macclesfield which have increased efficiency significantly.
At Speke, near Liverpool, our biologics team plays a vital role in the UK's child flu vaccination programme, developing new vaccines each year to combat fresh strains and mutations.
Who we work with
AstraZeneca UK aims to support local innovation and best practice that improves patient care in Respiratory, Immunology, Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal and Oncology therapy areas. Grants are a reactive provision of monetary support by AstraZeneca to an approved requesting organisation for the purposes of achieving a specific defined outcome. Grants may be awarded to Healthcare Organisations, Patient Organisations, or Charities involved in patient support. The Grants process does not accept Externally Sponsored Research or Product Donation requests (they are reviewed via alternative processes).
Once you have submitted your grant application, your request will be reviewed by committee. The committee will be looking for a clear alignment to at least one of AstraZeneca’s Medical Missions for practice change (see below) AND clear advancement in UK clinical practice (with potential to scale UK-wide) AND/OR impact on reducing health inequalities aligned to AstraZeneca’s Medical Missions.
- The total review time can be up to 10-12 weeks, therefore please allow sufficient time to apply before the proposed project/activity start date. We will contact you by email with the outcome.
- Should your application be successful, a member of the AstraZeneca UK Medical and Scientific Affairs team will periodically be reaching out to you to confirm progress of the project at appropriate timely intervals.
AstraZeneca UK’s Medical Missions for practice change:
- Zero Tolerance for Asthma Attacks - all patients deserve access to anti-inflammatory medicines from the start
- Eliminate chronic oral corticosteroids (OCS) - accelerate access to precision medicine, reduce OCS use by 90%
- Early biology-based treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - early diagnosis, treatment, prevention of decline, cardiovascular complications and premature death
- Prevent onset of cardiorenal disease in Type 2 Diabetes - treat beyond Haemoglobin A1C (HbA1C) to prevent onset of Heart Failure, Chronic Kidney Disease and premature death
- Eradicate unplanned admissions for Heart Failure - early diagnosis and treatment in the community, prevention of disease progression and hospitalisations
- Reduce death and progression to End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) in Chronic Kidney Disease - early diagnosis and treatment, prevention of kidney function decline
- Eliminate Cancer as a cause of death - early diagnosis and biology-based treatments to revolutionise cancer care and increase the potential for cure
Be among our employees who continue to make us an innovation-driven company that stands firmly among the world’s leaders in biopharmaceuticals.
VVPM ID: GB-29664 Date of Prep: June 2021