Working with the NHS
AstraZeneca’s relationship with the NHS is at the centre of our UK Marketing Company activities.
The NHS is the primary customer for AstraZeneca medicines in the UK and we engage with NHS staff on many levels on a daily basis.
We interact with healthcare professionals as part of our sales and marketing work, ensuring that clinicians have the best access to information about our medicines in order to make appropriate prescribing decisions.
At both national and local level, we work closely with NHS staff to help facilitate decision-making and budgetary planning. We’re committed to ensuring that AstraZeneca’s business is aligned with NHS priorities and supports delivery of excellent patient care.
Our UK Marketing Company takes a wholly customer- centric approach to our relationships with the NHS. This enables us to work more collaboratively through a better understanding of the needs of the healthcare professionals, commissioners and patients who use our medicines.
Joint Working provides the formal foundation for creating, developing and implementing innovative healthcare solutions which deliver better health outcomes for patients and the NHS. The Department of Health defines Joint Working as “Situations where, for the benefit of patients, one or more pharmaceutical companies and the NHS pool skills, experience and/or resources for the joint development and implementation of patient-centred projects and share a commitment to successful delivery”.
The Department of Health and the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI), of which AstraZeneca is a member, have worked together to produce valuable guidance to ensure that these partnerships are approached in the right way.
By applying our resources and expertise to improve patients’ lives, we can help the NHS achieve its targets, as well ensuring that more people can access the innovative medicines they need, when they need them.
Grants Provided to Institutions in 2013
As well as joint working with the NHS, AstraZeneca UK Marketing Company also provides occasional grants to the NHS and affiliated research institutions for projects benefitting patient care and / or medical research. It is a requirement of the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI) Code of Practice requirement to disclose such grants. Payments to individual Healthcare Organisations (HCOs) to sponsor and support educational meetings are currently not required to be disclosed under the current ABPI Code of Practice. AstraZeneca is fully committed to transparency and will be disclosing sponsorship payments and fees for services made to individual HCOs from 2015 onwards in line with the requirements of the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA) Code and ABPI Code of Practice.
Click below to see grants provided in 2013.
Grants Provided to Institutions in 2013
Nature of Support
NHS South of England
Grant to support an NHS Early Diagnosis Initiative for patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
University of Nottingham Breast Surgery, Royal Derby Hospital
National Cancer Registry
Grant to support disease register provided by Health Data Insight C.I.C.
University of West of Scotland
Joint Working can include:
- AstraZeneca employee time
- Nursing support
- Commissioning advice
- Help developing patient pathways
- Screening services
- Data analysis
- Declarations of Joint Working: Executive Summaries
- Declaration of joint working - the Department of Health (PDF 565kb)
- Declaration of joint working - Luton Clinical Commissioning Group (PDF 175kb)
- Declaration of joint working - Newark and Sherwood Clinical Commissioning Group (PDF 115kb)
- Declaration of joint working - NHS Warwickshire North Clinical Commissioning Group (PDF 116kb)
- Declaration of Joint Working Wincar & Andover Localities (PDF 124kb)
- Declaration of Joint Working Wirral Alliance Clinical (PDF 116kb)
- Declaration of Joint Working Bristol Heart Institute (PDF 178kb)
- Declaration of Joint Working St Georges NHS Healthcare Trust (PDF 176kb)
- Declaration of Joint Working High Weald (PDF 122kb)
- Declaration of Joint Working for FH UCL Partners (PDF 102kb)
- Exec Summary of JW between AZ and Stockport (PDF 127kb)
- Exec Summary of JW between AZ and Derby Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (PDF 538kb)
- Exec Summary of JW between AZ and Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (PDF 976kb)
- Exec Summary of JW between AstraZeneca and Worcester Acute Hospital (PDF 482kb)
- Exec Sumary of Joint Working NHS North and West Reading CCG (PDF 96kb)
- Exec Summary of Joint Working Blackburn and Darwen (PDF 55kb)
- Exec Summary of Joint Working Central Manchester CCG (PDF 126kb)
- Exec Summary of Joint Working CLAHRC NW LONDON (PDF 112kb)
- Exec Summary of Joint Working Hastings and Rother (PDF 106kb)
- Exec Summary of Joint Working West Herts (PDF 56kb)
- Executive Summary of Joint Working Birmingham and Solihull (PDF 108kb)
- Executive Summary of Joint Working CLAHRC NW LONDON (PDF 112kb)
- Executive Summary of Joint Working Grampian NHS (PDF 80kb)
- Executive Summary of Joint Working Ipswich and Suffolk CCG (PDF 106kb)
- Executive Summary of Joint Working Newark & Sherwood PANNASH Asthma (PDF 115kb)
- Executive Summary of Joint Working Oxford Digital (PDF 106kb)
- Executive Summary of Joint Working Oxford University Hospital (PDF 482kb)
- Exec Summary of JW between AZ and PLYMOUTH 142321.011 (PDF 582kb)
- Exec Summary of JW between AZ and ROYAL CORNWALL - 174211.011) (PDF 72kb)
- Exec Summary of JW between AZ and Dudley Group NHS Trust 158907.011 (PDF 42kb)
- Exec Summary of JW between AZ and Sandwell West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust 155839 (PDF 52kb)